Friday, September 10, 2010

Up to Speed

Yes, the past few weeks I've still been struggling to keep up with my running schedule. A lot of it had to do with getting sick - its amazing how a bad head flu can effect ones energy days after it ends!

I think I am well over it now, but it prevented be from being able to move up from my three mile to my 3.5 mile run last Saturday. However, on Tuesdays run (which actually happened on Wednesday) I had good energy levels and no threaten of side stitches. I ran around the indoor track and counted up to 3.5 miles. I'm pretty proud! And felt great afterwards.

Yesterday I had extra time in the morning so I put in a bonus 2 mile speed interval around the track; tried to keep an even 6mph pace around the track, and pushing it out for one lap every half mile. After that I spent 20 minutes on the ellipticals to get in the habit of cross training after my easy runs.

Today was supposed to be my two mile speed workout, but since I do have some school work to get done, I may not get to it. I'm hoping to find time during my lunch break to do some hills (I've gotten extremely lax about running outside ever since school began 4 weeks ago).

Alsoooo, I need to sign up for that race. I am starting to doubt my ability to run a solid 10k. I mean, I know I can finish. I'm not sure that I'll be able to finish with ease though, which was my goal. But hey, I know I'd rather finish walking the last mile than to settle with the 5k.

I read in Runners World that it is more important when trying to improve endurance to be on your feet for a longer period of time, not necessarily to run more miles. So I think that if I can't run my 4 miles this Saturday, I'll keep running for at least forty minutes, no matter what. It takes 60 minutes of moderate exertion most days of the week to lose weight, so in about a month I should be at that level. I think over the winter I will keep it there - running for about an hour straight, and not try to push it further. Somehow I doubt once (if) I am in the program I will feel like doing hour and a half runs..

In other news, I need to find my old headphones/buy new ones if I am going to increase my time running indoors... I'm starting to get bored!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.